I can’t believe how long it’s been since I posted anything. This is completely due to a lack of me taking photos. And let's face it: a sewing blog is very, very dull without them. However I have been sewing!
This is Simplicity 1877, one of Leanne Marshall’s patterns, and I made version B with the gathered skirt. I don’t wear a lot of florals but felt like expanding my sewing horizons and loved this lightweight linen I found at Jo-Ann’s. I felt the colors would transition nicely from late summer into fall with tights and boots. The pattern went together pretty easily although I complicated things by adding a full lining and then went completely mental and hemmed the skirt by hand.
I prefer to line my dresses anyways, but I wasn’t thrilled with the center bodice seam remaining unfinished. Plus my fabric was a bit sheer. In order to add the lining I sacrificed the bias binding around the neck and sleeves. Instead I under stitched and then top stitched ¼” around the edges to try and simulate the look.
|Shoulder flounces before being tacked down|
The edges of the “V” in front aren’t perfect but I figured it was good enough since me and my cleavage have the best views and I’m counting on them distracting anyone looking to closely at my seams.
FYI: while this pattern is low cut, it’s not drafted to be quite this low. When I went to sew my fabric and lining together I went ahead and used a standard 5/8” seam, completely forgetting that the bias binding finish means the edges wouldn’t be reduced at all until after I serged them. Whoops! This also meant the armhole was lowered as well but for the most part doesn’t reveal my bra.
|Crazy hair mustache|
Except in this photo where I realized I totally made a dress that matches my bra!
I debated whether or not to add the shoulder flounces before deciding why not since I don’t have anything else like it in my closet. Plus they reminded me of origami for some reason.
The skirt is pleated and topstitched in the center and gathered everywhere else. To keep my lining simple I just used the skirt pieces and made it exactly the same other than shortening it a few inches.
The end result is a nice clean inside and added opaqueness. Next time I make this dress I’ll raise the underarm slightly and take it in about ½” at the waist. Although the design is pretty distinctive so that won’t be anytime too soon.
I braved the cold to take these photos but I’m hoping for a warmish fall day to wear it without tights. I think with my brown leather jacket, tights and boots it’ll be perfect to wear out while the leaves are changing colors. I doubt it’ll stay in the rotation throughout winter so I plan on wearing it while I can!