Wednesday, April 30, 2014

It’s a grape Datura!

After finding success with both Bleuet & Sureau I’ve continued to work my way through the Deer & Doe pattern catalog.  Most recently with Datura, a loose, sleeveless blouse with either a cutout or Peter Pan collar and back buttons.  I initially thought of making this earlier but a sleeveless blouse didn’t seem like the most practical winter make.  Now that the weather is heating up I want a whole gaggle of them!
Datura blouse
For my first version I used grape colored rayon challis and included the Peter Pan collar.  Not wanting to deal with fussy, shifty fabric I used Sullivan’s stabilizing spray rather than regular spray starch.  Last time I used spray starch the nozzle malfunctioned and wouldn’t stop spraying – I ended up tying it up in a plastic bag & setting it outside where it continued to spray until there was nothing left.  I’ve read recommendations for Sullivan’s before & decided to give it a try.  I did use a pressing cloth while ironing the fabric after spraying it to avoid dirtying up my iron.
Datura is a relatively simple design with just a few pattern pieces so it doesn’t take long to cut out or sew up.  The yokes are lined resulting in a neat finish along the neck and armholes.  I chose to topstitch the yokes and avoid any potential hand sewing and French seamed the sides.  The hem is finished with bias binding so the insides look almost as nice as the outsides.  I used three little buttons on the back and made functioning buttonholes despite them being unnecessary to get into the blouse.  After a quick washing cycle & press to remove the added stiffness it was ready to go.

I love, love, love that it doesn’t button all the way up the back!  As a girl with long hair I hate having to untangle my hair from around a button, especially if it’s in back where I can’t see what I’m doing.
So far I’ve only worn the blouse with cardigans with the exception of these photos.  I like the sleeveless nature of it but am wondering how it might look with a cap or short sleeve.

Part of me is surprised at how much I’ve liked this blouse since it’s not my usual silhouette.  Overall I think I look best with some waist definition and this has none.  I feel it’s designed with slim pants in mind using the old rule of loose on top/tight on bottom or vice-versa.  It’s always nice to throw a bit of caution to the wind and try out a new style.  Also the looser fit means less time needed in the fitting stage making this an ideal candidate for some unselfish sewing if you so desire.
I know I really like a pattern when I immediately start planning out future versions and snapping up all the needed fabrics and notions.  So far I’ve got some floral fabric and a few solid pieces I’m debating between for the cut outs version.  I’m trying to restrain myself with only two more (for now) so my other patterns don’t get jealous!

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I was eyeing this pattern recently for a loose silky tank to wear with skinny jeans. The purple suites you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally recommend this pattern - it's super comfy to wear & gives you a nice, pulled together look.

      Delete