· Sewaholic RenfrewI think today was mostly about the shoes – which is also the #1 reason I bought this fabric. I was especially thrilled to hold them up to each other and see just how closely they matched. You take a basic t-shirt and jeans outfit, add in matching shoes and it goes up a notch.
· Simplicity 2863 (Built by Wendy)One thing I like about Me Made May is giving the garments in the back of your closet some love. I almost always wear lower necklines so I have a tendency to fuss with this dress despite it otherwise being super comfy. Which is probably why I rarely wear it out – today it pulled the inside cleaning shift after spending the morning deep cleaning my deck.
· Deer & Doe DaturaI knew I wouldn’t be able to wear this just once this month. It’s been warmer than expected this week so a sleeveless top is a must for looking presentable after hauling a dozen sewing machines in and out of the car twice and picking my parents (plus 3 large, heavy bags) up from the airport.
· Sewaholic AlmaThis is my heavy lifting day of teaching – 13 sewing machines carried two by two up 2 sets of stairs and down the hall to a classroom – and according to my phone it was 79 degrees. Even completely underlined, this Swiss dot blouse is still lightweight enough to help keep me cool and not sloppy looking by evening when this photo was taken. Another warm weather top, I hate wearing it with a sweater or cardigan due to the collar.
· Tilly & the Buttons Coco
I spent a good part of the day traveling from Seattle down to Berkeley for my cousin’s wedding reception so comfort was key. Enter Tilly & the Button’s Coco dress made out of navy and white striped French terry. I made this just before the trip and looking back at these photos I need to redo the hem – it’s drooping down a bit at the sides.
· Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono Tee
· Biscayne Orca DressWeather in Berkeley was much cooler than Seattle so I had to rethink my options, meaning the shorts had to stay in the suitcase. This top ended coming out sooner and I spent most of the day with my jacket on so it didn’t really matter what I was wearing underneath. Surprisingly late in the afternoon it warmed up enough while wandering through the Berkeley Botanical Gardens where the reception was taking place. I’ll be doing a separate post on the dress but it’s my first design project at fashion school. I was super excited to have it finished in time to wear to the reception, knowing I would be getting questions about what I’ve been up to. It turned out to be perfect for dancing with the skirt being made for
· Grainline Hemlock TeeI had been hesitating on Grainline’s Hemlock tee for a while due to the lack of sizing options, but after picking up this tissue weight jersey featuring a massive print I thought I would give it a try. I’m so glad I did because the oversized shape didn’t break up the print too much and was super quick to put together. The only thing I would change is the sleeve length, it’s at that awkward length where instead of being 3/4 length it looks like I ran out of fabric and cut them too short. But that’s an easy fix. Regardless it was comfy for a chilly post wedding picnic, hanging out with family and driving up to Sacramento.
· Megan Nielsen Briar
Bonus puppy photo – everyone’s favorite cute and furry accessory. This was another travel day which also included picking up my parents’ new little puppy. This is probably my favorite t-shirt due to the print so I knew it was going to make more than one appearance this month. But back to the puppy: his name is Toohey, a mini Australian Shepard, total sweetheart and a wonderful little traveler. He went through airport security like a champ and slept through the entire flight – including take-off and landing. Expect to see more of him in future photos!
· Megan Nielsen BriarAnother puppy photo and another Briar. At the last moment I threw this in my suitcase in case I decided to spend the night at my parent’s house and get in some more puppy time. Naturally I decided that was necessary and spent the morning playing with the little guy before leaving to go teach. Despite all the changes Toohey went through during the past 24 hours, he bounced back and seemed to enjoy getting to know his new family and home. I will say I was surprised this was the first time in May I wore this shirt, the perils of being stuck in the dirty laundry pile…
· Deer & Doe BleuetThis was my second Bleuet and I decided to stick with my love of pearl snaps. Because why unbutton a shirt dress when you can rip it open and feel like the Hulk. (With the added bonus of not having to sew any buttons on later to wear it again!) This dress is super comfy to wear and makes it very quick to get dressed in the morning and still feel put together.
· Jamie Christina Mission Maxi Tank
· Colette Madeline Mini BloomersI was feeling under the weather today so put the minimal amount into what I wore. The main difference between my me made pjs and my “outfit” is the tank top. Despite having made this over a year ago I still haven’t gotten around to properly hemming it. Needless to say, it was the perfect thing to wear on a hot day when it seemed like effort just to move to the couch.
· Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono Tee
· Sewaholic Thurlow shortsThis was the outfit I had planned to wear last weekend if only the weather had played along. I love, love these shorts! They’re a plaid seersucker that I wish I could wear ALL YEAR LONG. I miss them during winter and really should make a couple more tops to wear with them. Speaking of making more, I should whip up a few more pairs of shorts as well. I struggled to get the trousers to fit right, but didn’t have many issues with making these. I think the pattern is worth it just for the shorts.
· Sewaholic Renfrew
· Jamie Christina Mission Maxi mini dressThis is one of my ideal warm weather outfits and I’m so glad I didn’t give up on this fabric. Despite being stiff as all get out when it arrived, it has softened up in the wash and is thick enough not to show what I’m wearing underneath. The weather was a bit cooler than expected so I was glad for the matching tee. Regardless even in a dress I got plenty of puppy play in.
· Deer & Doe PlantainWoo-hoo! Last time taking a daily photo! Rather than go out with a bang with a fun sundress I decided to go dog friendly as I had a puppy and two big dogs to play with. I really need to make a couple more Plantains in rayon knits as they’re so easy to wear.
Once again I enjoyed a successful Me Made May. I didn’t have too many problems figuring out what to wear, although I do need some more separates. This is basically the same conclusion I came to last year but made minimal progress on – although now it’s more necessary with my more physical job. I had hoped to make a pair of shorts and jeans but life got busy and that didn’t happen. Plus my parents’ new puppy, Toohey, was an adorable fluffy distraction towards the end of the month. But I can’t complain or blame the little guy, not much beats a puppy when deciding how to spend free time and the look on his face while bounding over to me when I come to visit tells me I made the right decision. That said those shorts will get made! The jeans may have to wait until it gets closer to fall. I do want to make some more tops for the summer and maybe a few dresses as well. Although I do have a school fashion show coming up in September and need that to be my main focus.