Friday, May 24, 2013

Me-Made-May 13 Week Three & Four Round Up

So far I’ve made it through three weeks and don’t feel like I’m in a slump yet. Although clearly I’m addicted to Sewaholic patterns – as much as Tasia loves her frosting she designs some seriously awesome cake. When in doubt I reach for a Renfrew and never feel sloppy, which is what I reach for when I want a quick, satisfying project as well. I’m hoping the rest of May warms up so I can pull out more of my summer dresses but until then I’m a jeans girl.


Day 13
  • Sewaholic Renfrew in lilac cotton interlock
  • I wore this on the ride home from Portland and shucking some corn for dinner. Due to a lack of on-grain fabric I had piece the neckband in the back, omit the sleeve bands and use my twin needle to hem it instead. It behaved and I didn’t have to adjust anything at all – I love it when that happens.

Day 14
  • Sewaholic Pendrell in navy polka dot poly
  • I try and avoid sewing with poly but couldn’t help myself when I saw this print. The fabric has a nice drape to it that worked out well for the ruffles. Plus I love the combination of green, white and navy. Today I picked up a copy of the Robson to make the trench of my dreams. 

Day 15
  • Sewaholic Renfrew in red cotton interlock
  • Another of my many Renfrews – these are great everyday casual wardrobe staples.  Lately I've focused on making more separates and I could make a million of these. 
Day 16
  • Sewaholic Alma in yellow cotton eyelet
  • The first Alma I’ve made and my first time sewing yellow fabric. Like a lot of people I’m hesitant about yellow but love this fabric and think it works. It was a little see through so I lined it in yellow cotton as well. I love the clean edge of the lined sleeve hem especially since the arm seam is finished with bias binding.
 
Day 17
  • Simplicity Project Runway 2724 dress OOP in teal plaid
  • This is a fall dress I made a few years ago and pre serger. This fabric wanted to fray like crazy and I zigzagged the edges but would’ve been more satisfied with a serged edge. Not that I would ever go back and add that. I always think of this as more of a fall/winter dress but while switching out my clothes I thought I’d give it another wear before packing it away. It helped that the weather was overcast and threatened to rain. I only wore this half the day as I needed to recaulk my bathtub and this doesn’t exactly say home repair.
Day 18
  • Sewaholic Renfrew in banana cotton interlock
  • I was so pleased with my first foray into yellow sewing that when I saw this fabric I knew it was time for a repeat performance. I like the contrast with the light blue jacket and need to find more ways to work this color combo into my wardrobe.


Day 19
  • Simplicity Built By Wendy 2863 in jade jersey
  • This was one of my first makes made with my serger.  I loved this jade jersey and immediately thought of a dress.  I like this dress but think it looks best with a belt rather than just the elastic waist.  If I make this again I will probably change the neckline, it's not my favorite style and doesn't always lie flat.  It's comfy in that I'm wearing "going outside" clothes but feel like I'm wearing PJs type of style.  Plus it looks great with my rainbow polka dot wedges which are some of my favorite shoes!
 
Day 20
  • Simplicity Project Runway 2359 in cotton lawn
  • I first made the maxi dress version of this pattern but prefer this length on this second try.  Nothing against maxis, but despite being short I must have a long stride because there's not quite enough fabric in the skirt for me to walk normally.  (It's not a problem when I walk with somebody else and also walk slower.)  At this length I don't have that problem.  I love how a cardigan can make a sundress more wearable.
Day 21
  • Sewaholic Renfrew in navy cotton interlock
  • Colette Clover in biking red stretch sateen
  • A completely me-made outfit!  The skies were grey and rainy so I dressed like it was already fall.  These Clovers were my first pair of pants and I got lucky with the fit, having to only make minimal adjustments.  I should probably make a warmer weather version of these for summer.  They're made out of a stretch sateen and don't get too saggy by the end of the day which is always a bonus.
 
Day 22
  • Sewaholic Alma in yellow eyelet
  • Yesterday I dressed for fall so today I was determined to dress for spring.  I dug this grey skirt out of the back of my closet and initially intended to wear my pink seersucker Alma with it.  Then I remembered I had shoes with yellow polka dots on them and went with this yellow version.  I really liked this outfit until I started to walk around and remembered why this skirt is in the back of my closet - I can barely walk in it!  There's no slit or kickpleat so it's baby steps only and no rushing anywhere.  I think I see myself making a grey skirt in the future...
 
Day 23
  • Simplicity Project Runway 2403 in blue seersucker
  • This was my seersucker gateway make and one of the first things I used my serger on.  I loved using the rolled hem on the front ruffles and sleeves.  I was really not looking forward to sewing a teeny, tiny hem on those bias cut ruffles.  The skirt seemed roomy enough so I omitted the side slit and can still walk normally.  Looking at this photo I wonder if I should shorten the skirt just a smidge.
 
Day 24
  • Sewaholic Alma in white Swiss dot
  • Sewaholic Minoru in hunter green twill & lined in plaid flannel
  • Today's MMM13 theme is your hometown so I headed to Kerry Park, one of the most used photo op spots in the city.  This outfit is pretty classic Seattle with a hooded jacket, jeans and Converse sneakers - if only I was wearing Levi 501s and a flannel... And yes, our love of flannel is still going strong in a completely non ironic/hipster kind of way!  The Minoru lining does satisfy my plaid flannel fix.  The Peter Pan collared Alma keeps it firmly out of the 90's and makes the outfit that much cuter.  I added flannel inseam pockets which are nice and cozy when it's chilly and used snaps on the inside pockets.  I also went a little OCD and matched the plaid on those pockets so they blend into the lining.

 
Bonus photo!  In addition to wearing me-mades each day I've been wearing them at night as well.
  • Butterick B5653 in blue seersucker
  • Colette Madeleine Mini Bloomers in seersucker (not seen)
  • I made version C which is a top with ruffle hem but since I'm short it's more like a nightie. It turned out a bit big and being PJs I couldn't be bothered to make proper changes I didn't want to make it too fitted since there's no type of closure. The top is lined and I used the hem allowance to make a casing to add elastic to the waist. This makes it much more wearable since without the elastic it was pretty big and shapeless. I also made a pair of Colette Madeleine Mini Bloomers to wear underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment